Skip to Quick Search

Sub navigation

Skip to content

Document Actions
  • Print this page

Corrie Gas shock - are you safer than Fiz?

last modified  08/01/2013 16:00 PM

Over the Christmas holiday period some of our residents may have been watching a chilling storyline on popular soap Coronation Street, in which a character suffered the deadly effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Obviously we're more fans of EastEnders here, but we're also always keen to promote the importance of gas safety.



Actress Jennie McAlpine, who plays character Fiz Brown, has teamed up with the Gas Safe Register to highlight the importance of having your gas appliances serviced properly. She said: "Unfortunately what happens to my character is not a rare occurrence in real life. Carbon monoxide is deadly and it’s important that as many people know about it as possible".

In the soap the danger was caused by repairs being carried out by an unqualified friend. This is why all EastendHomes tenants are required to grant access each year for a service of their gas appliances, which will be carried out by a technician who is Gas Safe Registered. It is vital that you allow us access to your property to carry out these checks each year. If we are unable to gain access after several missed appointments we will ask a court for an injunction granting us access. We will offer you convenient appointments, including early, late and Saturday appointments as required.

We also strongly recommend to all of our leaseholders that they have their boiler serviced annually, which will help to keep you, your family and your neighbours safe, as well as helping to avoid unexpected repair bills by identifying problems early. If you are letting out your leasehold property, you will be required to have your appliances serviced each year. Gas care cover can be arranged through an agreement agreed with EastendHomes' contractor at a highly competitive rate - see this poster for more information.